Capital cost estimates to implement MnPASS dynamic pricing on freeway shoulder lanes ranged from $6 million to $23 million per mile.
Mn/DOT experience with managed lanes
The cost figures below were used to estimate the relative costs to implement new MnPASS lanes on a variety of corridor lengths and shoulder lane configurations. Overall, on a cost per mile basis, capital cost estimates ranged from $6.0 million to $23.0 million per mile (2010 dollars).
ADVANCED TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT (ATM)
- ATM and MnPASS equipment for six- to eight-lane freeway: $1.2 million to $1.6 million per mile (both directions). These costs includes tolling equipment, signs, sign structures, and communications infrastructure.
- MnPASS Equipment Only: $1.0 million per mile (both directions). This cost includes tolling equipment for MnPASS operations only.
- Widen to Inside: $3.4 million per mile (both directions)
- Widen to Outside: $2.1 million per mile (both directions)
- Resurface Existing Pavement: $2.4 million per mile (both directions)
- Interchange Ramp Realignment: $1.4 million per location (one exit and one entrance in one direction)
- Grading, Drainage, and Overhead Sign Relocation: $1.15 million per mile (both directions)
- Median Barrier: $350,000 per mile (both directions)
- Miscellaneous â€“ Low-Range: None; High-Range: $1.0 million per mile (each direction).
- Low-range (widening): $200 per square foot
- High-range (bridge replacement): $5 million per location.
Initial MnPASS operations on the I-394 corridor were estimated to cost $120,000 per year per mile. These costs included roadway operations and maintenance, and back office functions (processing payments, record keeping, etc.) Sharing the established administrative and back office functions, and expanding operations to cover additional corridors would cost approximately $50,000 per year per mile.
Published By: Minnesota DOT
Prepared by Cambridge Systematics for the MnDOT
Source Date: September 2010URL: http://www.mnpass.org/pdfs/MnPassSystemStudy2.pdf
Operations and Maintenance - I-394 Corridor - $120,000 per year per mile.
Operations and Maintenance - Additional Corridors - $50,000 per year per mile.
Average User Rating
congestion pricing, value pricing, variable road pricing, managed lanes