Adopt best practices for integrating emergency information into Transportation Management Center (TMC) operations to improve performance and increase public mobility, safety and security.
Experience from 38 TMCs across the country.
Nationwide,United States; Maryland,United States; Atlanta,Georgia,United States; Houston,Texas,United States; Austin,Texas,United States; Orlanda,Florida,United States
- Place TMC workstations in related Emergency Operation Center (EOC). Locating TMC workstations in EOCs provides emergency management, dispatch, and operations full access to TMC resources and helps to facilitate smooth operations during an emergency event.
- In Maryland, connection of the statewide emergency management center to the Coordinated Highways Action Response Team (CHART) system using Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) protocols on commercial communication infrastructure gives the CHART workstation at the EOC full functionality and acceptable video quality.
- Location of the TMC on the same campus as the statewide EOC allows TMCs in Georgia to connect to the NaviGator system in Atlanta with full functionality.
- Establish formal interagency agreements. Such agreements signal management’s commitment to establishing and continuously improving operational cooperation. Topics may include common interpretation of operational goals, operational policies, organizational roles, processes for review, and funding formulae.
- In Houston and Austin formal agreements were established among local and state government agencies covering establishment, funding, management, and operations of the combined center.
- Orlando developed a general memorandum of understanding establishing an organizational structure and documenting commitment for information sharing and implementation coordination.
- Install a private data network available only to cooperating regional agencies. With a shared network, participating agencies are able to share traffic and video data and use client software to access remote servers. Based on the study, once a base network is established, agencies are able to connect at a minimal cost while bringing additional data to the network.
- In Orlando, fiber owned by individual consortium members is interconnected to establish a region-wide Ethernet network, private to the consortium, used for sharing video, data, and remote server access.
- Encourage regular interaction among agencies. This includes both task and casual interaction among staff. Established relationships can facilitate improved response during the rapid activity of an emergency situation.
- Co-locate operations from multiple agencies. The physical integration of operations leverages the resources of each agency to develop a center with more capabilities. The benefits of shared operations include reduced costs and increased awareness of the actions of other agencies.
- Create a restricted-access website. A website restricted to participating agencies can overcome issues of reliability stemming from peaks in demand and accuracy of incoming information. In addition to participating agencies, trained observers entrusted with password accounts may also enter valuable information.
- Along the Pennsylvania Turnpike, TMCs and other authorized organizations access a website operated by the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency. It allows for a two-way flow of highly accurate incident information, with higher reliability than publicly available websites.
Author: Chris Cluett, Fred Kitchener, Dwight Shank, Leon Osborne and Steve Conger
see notes above
Published By: Federal Highway Administration, HOTO
Source Date: 2/28/2006
EDL Number: 14247
Other Reference Number: FHWA-HOP-06-090URL: http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/jpodocs/repts_te/14247.htm
Average User Rating
Management & Operations > Operations
Management & Operations > Maintenance
Leadership & Partnerships > Leaders & Champions
Leadership & Partnerships > Partnerships & Agreements
Leadership & Partnerships > Organizational Management & Structure
Technical Integration > Functional
Technical Integration > Jurisdictional
Technical Integration > Legacy Systems
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Emergency Management > Response & Recovery > Response Management
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Emergency Management > Response & Recovery > Evacuation & Re-Entry Management
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Emergency Management > Response & Recovery > Emergency Traveler Information
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Freeway Management > Lane Management > Emergency Evacuation
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Freeway Management > Information Dissemination > Dynamic Message Signs
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Freeway Management > Information Dissemination > Highway Advisory Radio
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Traffic Incident Management > Surveillance & Detection > Imaging/Video
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Traffic Incident Management > Mobilization & Response > Service Patrols
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Traffic Incident Management > Information Dissemination > Dynamic Message Signs
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Traffic Incident Management > Information Dissemination > Highway Advisory Radio
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Road Weather Management > Traffic Control > Lane Use/Road Closures
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Road Weather Management > Traffic Control > Vehicle Restrictions
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Road Weather Management > Information Dissemination > Dynamic Message Signs
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Road Weather Management > Information Dissemination > Highway Advisory Radio
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Road Weather Management > Information Dissemination > Internet/Wireless/Phone
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Roadway Operations & Maintenance > Asset Management > Fleet Management
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Traveler Information > En Route Information > 511
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Traveler Information > Pre-Trip Information > 511
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Traveler Information > Pre-Trip Information > Internet/Wireless
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Transportation Management Centers > Permanent TMCs > Multi-Agency/Co-Located
Major Initiatives > Mobility Services for All Americans
Major Initiatives > Integrated Corridor Management Systems
Major Initiatives > Nationwide Surface Transportation Weather Observing and Forecasting System - Clarus
Major Initiatives > Emergency Transportation Operations
Major Initiatives > Electronic Freight Management
Other Program Activities > 511 Travel Information
Other Program Activities > Amber Alert
Other Program Activities > Public Safety
Other Program Activities > Real Time Traveler Information
Other Program Activities > Rural ITS Deployment
contra flow, contra flow lanes, managed lanes, DMS, CMS, VMS, Changeable Message Signs, Variable Message Signs, HAR, CCTV, closed circuit television cameras, road monitoring, camera imaging, freeway service patrol, courtesy patrols, highway helpers, freeway service patrols, automated gate closure