Virginia DOT set aside $300,000 annually to maintain and upgrade ADMS Virginia; maintaining the ADMS was estimated to require 1 to 1.5 full time equivalent positions.
Initially, ADMS Virginia was implemented at the Hampton Roads Smart Traffic Center and then operations were expanded to include support for the Northern Virginia Smart Traffic Center. The Virginia DOT (VDOT) led the deployment with help from the University of Virginia (UVA) and George Mason University (GMU). ADMS software systems were developed by Open Roads Consulting, Inc., with hardware and equipment provided by the Smart Travel Laboratory (a joint facility of VDOT and UVA).
Virginia DOT set aside $300,000 annually to maintain and upgrade ADMS Virginia. The Smart Travel Laboratory is staffed with a full-time database administrator, a part-time database administrator, a part-time document writer, and a software developer. Maintaining the system was estimated to require 1 to 1.5 full-time equivalent positions—approximately one-third of the total staff's time.
Key features of ADMS Virginia included:
Data Processing and Management Functions
- Procedures for quality control and management of relational database data input processes and formats.
- Managerial statistics, charts, and reports
- Standard data queries from traffic, incident, weather, and transportation management system databases
- Mobility measures of effectiveness from archived data to retrieve information on traffic speed, flow rate, volume/capacity ratio, speed standard deviation, and vehicle miles traveled
- Operations and maintenance information to evaluate current road conditions, data quality at sensor stations, and compare current incidents with past incidents
- Evacuation and special events planning services
- HOV monitoring and evaluation data
- Transportation planning tools to support air quality analysis (long-range planning)
- DynaMIT simulation modeling support
Published By: U.S. DOT
Prepared by SAIC for the U.S. DOT
Source Date: August 2005
EDL Number: 14250
Other Reference Number: FHWA-JPO-06-014URL: http://ntl.bts.gov/lib//jpodocs/repts_te//14250_files/14250.pdf
Average User Rating
Related Unit Cost Subsystems